Saturday, 4 November 2017

seasonal challenge - spring 17 - style arc lara jane top

the challenge: dcf seasonal challenge spring 17 - lara and i started the dcf seasonal challenge a year or two ago – we normally buy  a couple of metres of the same fabric from darn cheap fabrics each season, and each make a garment.  we then reveal it on our blogs on the same day.  it’s just a fun thing that we started when we realised how often we buy and sew the same fabrics (often from darn cheap).

however, early during spring 17 style arc patterns released their lara jane dress (and top) pattern, named after lara - the most fantastic style arc ambassador.  i suggested to lara that this challenge we both make up the lara jane using whatever fabric we liked. so this season we are doing a special 'seasonal challenge' instead. 

the fabric: a beautifully bright patterned silk from the fabric store.

the pattern: style arc lara jane dress.  i like both the dress and top versions in the pattern, but I decided to go with the top first as i think it will get lots of wear.  it was also handy to make up the top first to check the general fit before making the dress.

sizing: my measurements put me in size 10 for bust and between size 10 and 12 for waist and hips.  i normally make a size 10 or 12 in style arc patterns.  in writing this a few weeks after i finished the top i can't quite remember why, but i decided to make a straight size 10.  the fit is excellent around the bust and good around the hips.  i could potentially do with slightly more ease around the hips, which would be easy to fix next time.

alterations: none.  however for the first time ever i did check the height of the bust dart before i started, as i had just finished my first grainline willow tank which required the dart to be raised.  given i didn't make a muslin i thought it best to check the height, but it was perfect so no alterations were required.

the sewing: i rarely sew with silk, but when i saw this brightly patterned silk i decided i would like to challenge myself.  the silk felt reasonably stable and not too slippery when i was scoping out fabric options so i decided to give it a go.

i had no problems cutting the silk using my rotary cutter and the sewing thankfully was mostly straight forward.  the fabric was a little fiddly when making the sleeve ruffles and bias bindings but apart from that it behaved very well and was mostly a pleasure to sew.  this experience has made me keen to try more silk fabrics.

in terms of the instructions they are minimal (note: the pattern is rated 'medium'), but mostly straight forward. the one area i ran into a bit of trouble with was sewing on the arm ruffles.  the instructions are written for the version with sleeves so there is not really any specific written info if you are making the sleeveless version.

after confirming with lara what she did, i used the upper notch on the armhole as the place to sew the ruffle on to.  the main problem is the instructions don't give any detail about at what angle / how much of the ruffle edge you need to attach to the armhole.  on my first attempt i sewed one on too much and one not enough so i unpicked and re sewed them both.  though in doing this my ruffle placement on the armhole slipped down a bit so my ruffles at the front are probably an inch or so below where they should be - but that doesn't cause any problems.

the verdict: i love this top! i love the fabric, the fit and and the overall look.  i am sure i will get lots of wear from it this spring and summer and beyond, as down the track if i like i will be able to remove the ruffles and keep a lovely simple silk tank.

now to check out lara's post - i am very keen to see her lara jane!

til next time,

ps thanks for all your comments on my last post, i've kept the vest for next winter :)

1 comment :

  1. I love checking out your challenges, this was a fun one too!