Monday 9 November 2015

all the casual ladies (the casual lady dress by go to patterns)

i made quite a few of the casual lady dress by go to patterns last summer (i think maybe 6…) and i have just made a new one this summer.  the pattern description is:

"The perfect comfortable, easy wear, top or dress sewing pattern. With simple construction methods you’ll be making these quickly to fill up your closet. Choose your favorite knit fabric and get started today!"

knit dress and fill your closet - perfect!

this first one below is made from a soft ponte from girl charlee. the second one (my recent make) is a navy + white stripe knit from joys fabric warehouse (woo hoo they now have an online shop). the third one is a black and white spot from the fabric store and lastly a white + navy stripe ponte from spotlight.








i used medium size for all of the dresses as it is the size that correlates with my measurements and it is a good fit for me. depending on the type of fabric though i have also taken in some of the dresses along the hip line to better match my body shape. i used my sewing machine for all construction.

the pattern provides for a fully faced neckline, but i haven't done this for any of my versions.  i just removed 1/4" off the neckline and cap sleeves, turned them under and stitched them down with my twin needle - this makes for an incredibly quick make.  although for the white + navy ponte version i did use a contrast navy binding for the neckline and sleeves.


i added 2 darts at the back of all of my dresses to pull them in and give a bit more shape - you can just make out the darts in the photo above.



i've also changed the hemline around for a bit of variety, including different high-low finishes.

this is such a simple dress to make, its easy to wear and is another win for secret pyjamas - am sure there will be yet more versions to come.


emma


10 comments :

  1. Thank you, I've been looking for a pattern exactly like this, off to download it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic Kate - i hope you enjoy making it up!

      Delete
  2. Such a great dress on you especially with your back dart modification, and the hemline variations are cute too! Shame they couldn't have come up with a more inspiring name for the pattern, strange. I bet you just want to live in those stripy versions... I would!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah too true Jane it is a pretty crazy name, then again I recently downloaded a burda dress called the submarine dress! I've got no idea about that one either! Yes i do love the stripy ones.

      Delete
  3. Total love! It looks amazing on and beautifully executed. Keep making more of these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chacha!Yes I can see this dress being made in new fabrics for quite a few summers to come.

      Delete
  4. What a great dress pattern. Love all your renditions and the slight design variations. They all suit you beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean - like you I am quite the fan of a knit dress!

      Delete
  5. These are so gorgeous dresses Emma, I can imagine you must wear them all the time. I've been thinking about trying to fit the back of my knit dress pattern for ages (I use the Deer & Doe plantain tee which I extended and shaped into a fitted knit dress). Maybe adding back darts is the way I need to go as yours look really good. I particularly love your stripey version with the contrast binding and hi-low hem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How deep/ wide is the dart at the waist? I love the hi-low on the striped one too. Like everyone else has said ... they look great! And so different in different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete