the only changes i made were to:
- lower the waist height by 1 inch prior to cutting the fabric as i thought the waist looked a little bit too high for me. after trying the skirt on during construction i used a 2cm seam for the waist to reduce the height a bit more. i am very happy with how the height of the waist turned out.
- add 4 belt carriers where the front and back pieces join the side pieces as i prefer to wear a belt with high waisted skirts. I used the same great collette tutorial that i used for both my kelly skirts.
- use a standard zip and do a lap insertion (the instructions are for an invisible zip). i only did this as i had a suitable standard zip in my stash. i did the zip 3 times, once just eyeballing it in, but it was a bit wonky and obvious with the contrast thread, 2nd time i drew the sewing line on the fabric and pinned it in place, it was still a bit wonky so i ended up basting it in and finally got a pretty straight line.
i used a pre bought bias binding for the hem to keep as much length as possible as i want to wear this skirt to work. the pattern contains pieces for the lining and i used 'elegance' from martha pullen again - i used it recently in my laurel. this is great lining fabric.
here's a close up of the 'peplets' i really like how they add design detail and interest to the skirt, while not sticking out too far from the body.
i cut a size 42 which pretty much matches my measurements for waist and hips and i didn't make any alterations for fit - yahoo!
oh yes i love this skirt. there will be more.