first up is simplicity 2054, a cynthia rowley dress pattern for knit fabrics. i have made this pattern a few times before and wore my black and white spotty version to the sydney bloggers meet up (see third photo of this post).
i got the fabric for this one from darn cheap fabrics in melbourne. its a knit that is of medium thickness. i cut a straight size 10 which is the same size i have cut previously, even though i measure around a size 14 according to the pattern. for this version however, given the thickness of the fabric i reduced the side seams to the edge of the foot.
i finished the neck and arms with black ponte bands and put 2 darts in the back to create shape as the pattern as designed is a bit baggy. i also lengthened the dress a bit.
next is a grainline scout using the same altered pattern i used in the lurex mini challenge. the fabric is a soft stretch sateen from spotlight that i bought with a birthday gift card from my sisters - thanks gen and caz!
i constructed the top using french seams throughout and finished the neck and arms with some home made bias binding. this top is extremely comfortable and great for work.
on to the skirts. first up another deer and doe anemone in a cotton from darn cheap fabrics. i love this pattern and was keen to make another after my first one.
i made this using the same alterations as my first one, but didn't try it on during construction as my other one fit so nicely. this one is a little big as the fabric is lighter in weight than the ikea furnishing fabric i used for the first one. its ok but i wouldn't be unhappy if it shrunk a bit after a few washes. i also made the length on this the largest pattern size, adding a fraction more length but still keeping it short.
lastly its new look 6228, which i have also made previously - wow it just occurred to me i have made all of the patterns in this post previously. the black ponte part of this skirt started life as the cynthia rowley dress at the top of this post, but the black ponte was not very forgiving for my lumps and bumps so i never finished it. i hate the thought of sending fabric to land fill though so kept it in a screwed up heap.
one day it occurred to me i could make it into a skirt, but it turned out i didn't have quite enough ponte to make the whole skirt and upon checking my other black ponte in the stash found that none matched. so i decided to go with charcoal ponte for the front side panels and black everywhere else.
i made this using a straight stitch on my regular sewing machine and used a twin needle for the hem. again this is a comfortable skirt which is great for work.
phew after all that i need to sew something from a new pattern. lucky for me i did a tessuti pattern fitting class on the thursday before easter which was excellent and have a new to me pattern ready to make up in the next couple of days.
hope you had a great easter, i am just starting to think i should ease up on the chocolate...