This dress is Simplicity 2444, I wore it to work today. There are loads and loads and loads of them on sewing blogs. I made this version just over a year ago when I got back into sewing after a long break. This pattern is one of the first patterns I stumbled across on the internet one day and got me back into sewing.
More specifically, it was this amazing version by Dapper Duds. Fantastic fabric, a great fit and exceptional finishing on the inside - perfect! Mine is not so perfect, but I happily wear it anyway.
The fabric is from The Fabric Store. I bought it because I liked it, but it was actually on sale (tick) as the fabric had some flaws which I was able to cut around. On the subject of cutting I had a lot of luck with this dress. As it was one of the first I made in a long time I totally forgot that I might need to match the circles and did not give this any thought when cutting the fabric.
The circles must be printed pretty much on grain though as I was fortunate that they matched pretty well in the key places - the back zip area and front skirt seam phew.
I put in an invisible zip - my first zip in several years and I was pretty relieved at how it went in.
Here's a closer pic of the bottom of the zip and into the skirt back with some not so great circle matching, but its the back skirt and I don't see it so I don't care.
These photos were taken at the end of the day and I didn't iron the dress before I took them. You can see some wrinkles in the above pic, but in general the fabric gets through the day without much crinkling. If I hang the dress carefully after washing I can get way without ironing it - depending on how lazy I feel...
My fit is OK, there is extra fabric at the neckline that could have been removed, but again as it was early days in my return to sewing I didn't give this any thought.
Despite my measurements more closely matching a 12 for the top and a 16 for the waist and hips I cut a 10 for the top and graded to a 12 at the waist. I did this firstly because in my naive return to sewing state I thought how dare this pattern think I am 3 sizes above my RTW size and secondly because the pattern only went up to size 12! In the end the only place I made any fit adjustments was the side seams where I reduced the seam allowance at the waist seam - there were a few moments when I thought the seam allowance would not have enough fabric to create a seam that fitted at the waist, but I just scrapped through - phew again.
The inside of my dress is not too bad for the facings, but in general no where near as fabulous as Dapper Duds - with its french and bias bound seams and facings. Now I am back into the swing of sewing again I am keen to work more on this aspect in future dress makes.
PART B: As is usual these days on trips I grabbed the opportunity on the weekend to visit some fabric shops.
First up was Darn Cheap Fabrics in Heidelberg. Handily, I get to drive right past this shop when travelling to my parents from the airport. I got the 2 bottom fabrics here.
The fabric on the left is a sateen and the smaller yellow diamonds are a neon yellow colour. This is going to be a sleeveless shift dress. The orange spotted fabric on the right is a silk, the spots are a very bright neon orange (memo to me: learn to use camera better). This fabric is going to be some kind of top.
Lastly the top fabric is from the Dr Seuss range for some more pj bottoms for the kids. I got this fabric from Joys Fabric Warehouse in Geelong, which by another handy turn of fate is just over a block from my sister's house in Geelong. I was recently introduced to this shop by Blogless Anna and Boo Dogg and Me. My life was made for fabric shopping!